I want to make two endpoints coincident, not merge.

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
bnemec
Answers: 10

I want to make two endpoints coincident, not merge.

Unread post by bnemec »

Another stupid question. I do not want to merge two endpoints, I want to make them coincident. What's the difference? well, I'd would like to position one line then later move the other after deleting the coincident relation, normal operation in Solid Edge but SW keeps merging the points. Or should I be asking how to unmerge points?
by mike miller » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:22 am
I just allow them to merge, then if I need to separate them later I RMB on any entity and select "Detach Segment on Drag". Then select the line to move and a purple square appears at the endpoints. Clicking on one of them allows you to drag it and separate it from the other line. I always turn this off again because it can cause unintended "de-segmenting" when you're not expecting it.

Maybe there's an easier way, but this is what I do.
Go to full post
mike miller
Answers: 7

Re: I want to make two endpoints coincident, not merge.

Unread post by mike miller »

I just allow them to merge, then if I need to separate them later I RMB on any entity and select "Detach Segment on Drag". Then select the line to move and a purple square appears at the endpoints. Clicking on one of them allows you to drag it and separate it from the other line. I always turn this off again because it can cause unintended "de-segmenting" when you're not expecting it.

He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

mike miller wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:22 am I just allow them to merge, then if I need to separate them later I RMB on any entity and select "Detach Segment on Drag". Then select the line to move and a purple square appears at the endpoints. Clicking on one of them allows you to drag it and separate it from the other line. I always turn this off again because it can cause unintended "de-segmenting" when you're not expecting it.

Really? I have to toggle that on and off? Because if it does what it sounds l don't want that turned on. I miss Solid Edge sketching...

Sorry to sound ungrateful, thank you for the advice. I've tried it a bit now and I think careful selection of which segment to detach on drag and careful selection of which segment to drag can make this work.

I can feel it now that I'm going to forget to turn that off for the given line segment and it will bit me weeks later. Then I'll come back here asking why the heck aren't my sketch relations being obeyed and someone will kindly post a link to this thread...
matt
Answers: 19

Unread post by matt »

Yeah, like Mike says, Detach Segment on Drag from the RMB menu.
image.png
You can also write a hotkey to get that command.
image.png
image.png (12.67 KiB) Viewed 888 times
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

matt wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:43 am Yeah, like Mike says, Detach Segment on Drag from the RMB menu.
image.png

You can also write a hotkey to get that command.

image.png
Hmm, I do like hot keys. maybe CTRL+D.