Ok, who's gonna say it?

AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: Ok, who's gonna say it?

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Alin wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:22 am Wrong. He will be discussing the options users have in participating on this forum and the official one. When to use one and when to use the other.
Way to cause useless confusion
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:34 am

Way to cause useless confusion

image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

Alin wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:22 am Wrong. He will be discussing the options users have in participating on this forum and the official one. When to use one and when to use the other.
Really?

Well... Google will find the answers provided in this forum i.e.....
matt
Answers: 19

Unread post by matt »

What I don't get is why they are including this site in the discussion without ever coming here or talking to me directly. I've spoken with Billeter, but he's not a company representative, and the flow of information, aside from the fact that there was going to be a presentation on the topic, was completely one-directional. All I've ever had from them is some indirect and inaccurate accusation of blocking. This is not how professional organizations work.
Frank_Oostendorp
Answers: 3

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:03 am Dont think so
More like a presentation to justify why the hell they need to have two community in swymp i guess?
image.png
Well, the idea to create sub-categories in the SWYM related to subject was denied. WIKI tells us to use the Tags.
However, the SWYM moderators keep adding main-categories for many subjects. AMAZING.
image.png
Alin
Answers: 3

Unread post by Alin »

matt wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:37 am What I don't get is why they are including this site in the discussion without ever coming here or talking to me directly. I've spoken with Billeter, but he's not a company representative, and the flow of information, aside from the fact that there was going to be a presentation on the topic, was completely one-directional. All I've ever had from them is some indirect and inaccurate accusation of blocking. This is not how professional organizations work.
Matt, who is "they"? Steve is a passionate user, not a DSS employee. I was pretty surprised that his presentation topic was accepted.
Steven Billeter
Answers: 0

Unread post by Steven Billeter »

I am proposing during my presentation that their are currently two forums. One official and this forum. Am trying to educate people to the existence of both and then let them choose the best on their own. I never ever thought DS would accept my presentation and let me talk about both. Many people do not even know that this forum exists.

I checked with Matt prior to my presentation to get some of this input. If possible, I would like to do another presentation in person at next years conference so questions can be answered in person for both forums. It was never my intent to belittle either forum as lot of work has gone into both. And not I do not work for Dassault or Matt. Just a guy trying to make a difference everyday. Thanks to @Alin for letting me know I was mentioned in this thread so hopefully I can clean up some confusion.

Do this information help?
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

berg_lauritz wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:47 pm
image.png
image.png (25.89 KiB) Viewed 1423 times
found this gem today while going through the 3DXperience World schedule.
THERE ARE 6 W's...
image.png
image.png (32.08 KiB) Viewed 1423 times
matt
Answers: 19

Unread post by matt »

Alin wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:49 am Matt, who is "they"? Steve is a passionate user, not a DSS employee. I was pretty surprised that his presentation topic was accepted.
"They" obviously means SW. They are allowing this presentation, which is in itself perplexing. Not because there's anything wrong with the presentation, but because the fact that there is a non-sanctioned forum (aside from eng-tips.com, reddit, 3dcadforum, cadforum.cz, cadcrowd,com, grabcad,...) doesn't look good for them.

In the internet world, there really is no such thing as bad publicity. The one thing I've learned from two decades of managing net properties is that everybody loves a trainwreck, and there is no better way to draw traffic. But you have to be ready to handle that kind of attention, because it's not all friendly.

Steve and I have talked a couple of times. I'm not railing against him. He's the only reason I heard about it. I told him I was very surprised his idea got through, which means that there is someone running the show who is WAY disconnected from real community issues. I also gave Steve some advice - make sure the crowd doesn't get between him and the door, and make sure to make the DS employees identify themselves to the audience before the presentation. This has the opportunity to go wrong. I know Steve's intentions are purely informational, but I'm not sure he realizes the powder keg this issue could turn into.
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

Steven Billeter wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:17 am I am proposing during my presentation that their are currently two forums. One official and this forum. Am trying to educate people to the existence of both and then let them choose the best on their own. I never ever thought DS would accept my presentation and let me talk about both. Many people do not even know that this forum exists.

I checked with Matt prior to my presentation to get some of this input. If possible, I would like to do another presentation in person at next years conference so questions can be answered in person for both forums. It was never my intent to belittle either forum as lot of work has gone into both. And not I do not work for Dassault or Matt. Just a guy trying to make a difference everyday. Thanks to @Alin for letting me know I was mentioned in this thread so hopefully I can clean up some confusion.

Do this information help?
Yes, greatly! Thanks Steven for clearing that up.
Steven Billeter

This presentation is prerecorded so I am not worried about getting to the door. I know this could be a powder keg but it still warrants discussion. This presentation was done to promote education not because I though everyone would like the topic. If just one person learns about both forums then I have been successful. I am ready for feedback from both sides as to why people should be using one forum or the other.
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

matt wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:41 am "They" obviously means SW. They are allowing this presentation, which is in itself perplexing. Not because there's anything wrong with the presentation, but because the fact that there is a non-sanctioned forum (aside from eng-tips.com, reddit, 3dcadforum, cadforum.cz, cadcrowd,com, grabcad,...) doesn't look good for them.

In the internet world, there really is no such thing as bad publicity. The one thing I've learned from two decades of managing net properties is that everybody loves a trainwreck, and there is no better way to draw traffic. But you have to be ready to handle that kind of attention, because it's not all friendly.

Steve and I have talked a couple of times. I'm not railing against him. He's the only reason I heard about it. I told him I was very surprised his idea got through, which means that there is someone running the show who is WAY disconnected from real community issues. I also gave Steve some advice - make sure the crowd doesn't get between him and the door, and make sure to make the DS employees identify themselves to the audience before the presentation. This has the opportunity to go wrong. I know Steve's intentions are purely informational, but I'm not sure he realizes the powder keg this issue could turn into.
Are we talking Kevlar vest territory?

I'm not really sure what you can safely address in such a talk. This is quite a polarizing topic and I agree with @matt, has a real good chance of going bad. Even if @Steven Billeter can safely navigate this topic for the talk, the Q&A will be a landmine situation.

Don't get me wrong, if he can pull it off, great! But, I agree be careful.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

matt wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:41 am "They" obviously means SW. They are allowing this presentation, which is in itself perplexing. Not because there's anything wrong with the presentation, but because the fact that there is a non-sanctioned forum (aside from eng-tips.com, reddit, 3dcadforum, cadforum.cz, cadcrowd,com, grabcad,...) doesn't look good for them.

For all we know, perhaps the decisions are coming from people even higher then those who take care of the these things, such as the forums and SolidWorksWorld, err 3DXWorld...

Maybe someone from inside is trying to get the attention from someone above and that is the only way he sees fit to get the ball rolling.
Steven Billeter

As this presentation is virtual, I will only have to answer the Q&A that I chose to. No Kevlar vest needed. If I present in person next year then...
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 23

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

matt wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:41 am . . . Steve and I have talked a couple of times. I'm not railing against him. He's the only reason I heard about it. I told him I was very surprised his idea got through, which means that there is someone running the show who is WAY disconnected from real community issues. I also gave Steve some advice - make sure the crowd doesn't get between him and the door, and make sure to make the DS employees identify themselves to the audience before the presentation. This has the opportunity to go wrong. I know Steve's intentions are purely informational, but I'm not sure he realizes the powder keg this issue could turn into.
Sounds like business as usual.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

Steven Billeter wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:56 am This presentation is prerecorded so I am not worried about getting to the door. I know this could be a powder keg but it still warrants discussion. This presentation was done to promote education not because I though everyone would like the topic. If just one person learns about both forums then I have been successful. I am ready for feedback from both sides as to why people should be using one forum or the other.
Looks like you're about to be shoved into the cornfield with the rest of us outcasts. It can't possibly go over well.

Anyhow, welcome to the club. Please pull up a chair and make yourself at home. :lol: **
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39