Skeleton Modeling

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
moosetracks
Answers: 0

Skeleton Modeling

Unread post by moosetracks »

I am not sure if the correct term for this is skeleton modeling, but what I want to do is create one sketch or group of sketches that set the size for parts for the whole assembly. However somethings seem to be a real challenge. I have watched some videos on this and some people extrude their sketches and then use those solids to model other parts. I have been doing it by creating a part with all the sketches in it. Then I insert that part into a part that I want controlled by those sketches. This works ok. Sometimes I have to draw on a new plane and then convert entity because I can't select the original sketch for an extrusion or a hole. I also wanted to use the base sketch to control mates, by inserting it into the assembly. I was able to do this before, but now I can't select lines off the base sketch to mate to. I am not sure if you can follow all of that, but if you can point me into the right direction of how to do that I would appreciate it.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Re: Skeleton Modeling

Unread post by SPerman »

Here is a PDF that was put together by a member who has since retired from the CAD world. He was the SSP guru, from what I can tell. Hopefully it will help.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

SPerman wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:38 pm The Skeleton Sketch Part Introduction-6-8-2017.pdf

Here is a PDF that was put together by a member who has since retired from the CAD world. He was the SSP guru, from what I can tell. Hopefully it will help.
I just skimmed it since we have no plans to use SSP (or stay with SWX either). Wow, I miss John.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
moosetracks

Unread post by moosetracks »

I have read that a couple of times and still feel lost.... I think I need some example files. If anyone uses something like this I would love to see it.
ResidentAtLarge

Unread post by ResidentAtLarge »

SPerman wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:38 pm The Skeleton Sketch Part Introduction-6-8-2017.pdf

This is great! I remember a more condensed version of this SSP document being made, but this is ton of great info.

I definately think using SSP is a great idea when you have competent people you work with.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Let me see if I can find the Zip file he shared with me. It had examples in it.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Here's a good thread, also:
viewtopic.php?t=32
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

This is what John gave me.
Attachments
SSP-TEST.zip
(8.15 MiB) Downloaded 133 times
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I will add my typical SSP disclaimer:

SSP is not a one size fits all solution. There are places where it works well, and other not so much. Also don't think that if you use SSP, every part of the entire design has to be controlled by a sketch. For me, SSP is a way to communicate information across parts/assemblies using reference geometry. I only use it where that is needed.
-
ResidentAtLarge

Unread post by ResidentAtLarge »

I actually downloaded one of John's presentations a long while back, and looking through my folders here I came across these two files. Might be of some help going through this.
Attachments
Skeleton Sketch Part Method.pdf
(1.66 MiB) Downloaded 195 times
Skeleton Sketch Part (SSP) Presentation.pdf
(2.88 MiB) Downloaded 167 times
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

SPerman wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:05 am I will add my typical SSP disclaimer:

SSP is not a one size fits all solution. There are places where it works well, and other not so much. Also don't think that if you use SSP, every part of the entire design has to be controlled by a sketch. For me, SSP is a way to communicate information across parts/assemblies using reference geometry. I only use it where that is needed.
To clarify, the only information in the SSP is information shared between more than 1 part or asm. At first you may want to put as much info into the ssp as possible. Resist this urge. Take a table for instance. The leg of the table may have some sort of design cut into it. That design doesn't affect the top or other pieces of the table, thus that cut and all about it would be only in the leg part, not in the SSP. What would be in the SSP to drive the leg would be the floor (bottom of the leg) and the bottom of the table top (top of the leg), table corner (defines location of the leg in the assembly). All of this information is also in other parts and thus would be in the SSP.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Attach your file.
I used Master Sketch/Skeleton in Inventor and Solidworks.
One part file with all or most of the sketches, reference planes.
Insert it in another part file to create model.
Insert it in assembly for mate reference.