how to pattern a sketch

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
KSHansen
Answers: 0

how to pattern a sketch

Unread post by KSHansen »

I have a sketch. I want create multiple versions of this sketch on my part, where I incrementally change the length of one sketch element. Each new iteration of the sketch will show me the next location and orientation of the thing. I need to show all iterations on my model.

How do I do this?

In Creo, I just patterned the sketch, picking a dimension to change and the increment it changes by. I see nothing in the pattern commands that look like what I want to do. Linear pattern just lets me choose a direction to move my entire sketch. Google leads either to this same linear pattern, or a sketch-driven pattern.
KSHansen

Re: how to pattern a sketch

Thanks Toby, but either I couldn't figure out how to make it work for my specific problem, or it just doesn't apply.

Edited:
Let's try a simplified example. I have sketch of a rectangle I want a bunch of them. So I pattern it, varying the width dimension. Is that possible? I keep trying the linear pattern, but it's just not working. I can't select the dimension. Would this be done using a different sort of command than pattern? I
KSHansen

Wait, is it not possible to pattern a sketch?

Please tell me there's something I'm doing wrong. There is not enough profanity for this.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

..maybe use a Derived Sketch of the lobe? that way you can turn them at each separation.
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
DanPihlaja
Answers: 25

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

KSHansen wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:33 pm Thanks Toby, but either I couldn't figure out how to make it work for my specific problem, or it just doesn't apply.

Edited:
Let's try a simplified example. I have sketch of a rectangle I want a bunch of them. So I pattern it, varying the width dimension. Is that possible? I keep trying the linear pattern, but it's just not working. I can't select the dimension. Would this be done using a different sort of command than pattern? I
What do you want to do with the rectangles? Extrude them?

Sketch pattern basically only pattern a block of the sketch features. No dimensions are involved (as far as I know).

If you want to vary the dimension, and you want to, in the end, extrude them, then extrude the rectangle, then pattern it. Feature patterns allow you vary specific dimensions.
image.png
image.png
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
KSHansen

For some of the ones I've done in the past, there is a point in my sketch. When I pattern the sketch, that point moves around, and I can connect the points with a sketched spline. I will use this spline to create a track, or guiding surface. So no, I'm not making an extruded feature from the sketch. But a derived sketch would probably work for those.

But my current problem is a little different. I'm actually changing the length of one of the sketch elements. That changes the location of the sketch, and my intention is to see where it goes, to determine what parts of the sketch interfere with other features, and where.
KSHansen

I guess I'll have to copy the sketch a dozen times, and adjust the dimension.

This kind of pattern seemed like basic functionality. I would never have expected Solidworks couldn't do this. In Creo, it is literally seven clicks.