Odd behavior in drawing for configured parts SWX 2023 sp3

DavidWS
Answers: 1

Odd behavior in drawing for configured parts SWX 2023 sp3

Unread post by DavidWS »

There is a new oddity that I've just started experiencing since starting at a new company.

Normally in a drawing, when I want a model view of a component in a drawing of an assembly, I start create model view, pick the component from the assembly and create the view. Previously, the model view would be of the component's configuration that I've selected, even though there may be several (or many) configurations in that component.

For the last month, although, the component's drawing view would be created from a different configuration (that also exists at another location in the assembly), and I need to select the configuration for that drawing view.

This could be dangerous, especially since this is not my experienced behavior with this functionality, but also because there may be many configs and they could be named similarly, except for a suffix or a number, leading to error and/or wasted time.

For example: Imagine a vessel with 5 flanges (configured in one part file) of different sizes and drawing views required of each flange

Is anyone else seeing this behavior?
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: Odd behavior in drawing for configured parts SWX 2023 sp3

Unread post by AlexLachance »

DavidWS wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:36 am There is a new oddity that I've just started experiencing since starting at a new company.

Normally in a drawing, when I want a model view of a component in a drawing of an assembly, I start create model view, pick the component from the assembly and create the view. Previously, the model view would be of the component's configuration that I've selected, even though there may be several (or many) configurations in that component.

For the last month, although, the component's drawing view would be created from a different configuration (that also exists at another location in the assembly), and I need to select the configuration for that drawing view.

This could be dangerous, especially since this is not my experienced behavior with this functionality, but also because there may be many configs and they could be named similarly, except for a suffix or a number, leading to error and/or wasted time.

For example: Imagine a vessel with 5 flanges (configured in one part file) of different sizes and drawing views required of each flange

Is anyone else seeing this behavior?
I think it could be specific to your workflow, I haven't seen that behavior yet but I've only been on 2023 SP3 for a week. Haven't seen anyone speak about it either.
DavidWS

Unread post by DavidWS »

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:15 am I think it could be specific to your workflow, I haven't seen that behavior yet but I've only been on 2023 SP3 for a week. Haven't seen anyone speak about it either.
Thanks for your reply Alex! I've been using SWX for quite some time, my workflow hasn't changed and after creating model views of configs successfully for decades without issue, I wonder if there's a legacy setting from previous versions that's spawned this little nugget...

Anyway I've put together and attached below a very simple assy drawing to test if it is just me... Have a look if you have the time. Every tiome I try to make a drawing view of all the flanges, the same flange config is in the view.
VESSEL ASSY.zip
(637.69 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

DavidWS wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:03 am Thanks for your reply Alex! I've been using SWX for quite some time, my workflow hasn't changed and after creating model views of configs successfully for decades without issue, I wonder if there's a legacy setting from previous versions that's spawned this little nugget...

Anyway I've put together and attached below a very simple assy drawing to test if it is just me... Have a look if you have the time. Every tiome I try to make a drawing view of all the flanges, the same flange config is in the view.

VESSEL ASSY.zip
It could also be template related, I'll have a look at your assembly and see if I get the same issue too.
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

As far as I know it uses whatever the last active configuration was in the assembly for your views. You can change it using the drop down box when inserting the view. The behavior has not changed for me since I have been on SP3. Although I always use the open document/browse option in the part/assembly to insert section, can't say I have ever selected a part/sub assembly in an assembly to create the view from, so that might be where it's acting strange for you.
DavidWS

Unread post by DavidWS »

TTevolve wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:42 am As far as I know it uses whatever the last active configuration was in the assembly for your views. You can change it using the drop down box when inserting the view. The behavior has not changed for me since I have been on SP3. Although I always use the open document/browse option in the part/assembly to insert section, can't say I have ever selected a part/sub assembly in an assembly to create the view from, so that might be where it's acting strange for you.
Thanks TT... I create drawing views of assembly parts as most of our assemblies are fabrications and need drawing views for DXF output downstream. Normally, our fab drawings will have a DXF sheet with just the fabrication's component parts.

And yes, the work-around does work by opening the part fist and then creating the drawing view of the part (or choosing the config from the drop-down afterward). The reason I bring this up is that I've never needed to perform this extra (unnecessary) step, and have, for 20+ years been creating drawing views of individually configured parts from the assembly views.