Experience with 3DExperience

matt
Answers: 19

Experience with 3DExperience

Unread post by matt »

For one reason or another, I just bought the Maker version. It was stupid cheap - $38. If nothing else, I can get a couple of blog or forum posts out of it and feel like I haven't completely wasted my money.

The first thing I get is this:
image.png
Figuring out what to do was not entirely straight forward. I'm guessing that the part that isn't working was the part with the missing information.

You have to install a 3DX launcher. That kind of ended in the middle of something with no further instructions. So I poke around. Eventually I find something that contains the word "Install". I apparently have some sort of "role". I hope you really don't have to understand their made up language to participate. I'm just pushing buttons here.
image.png
image.png (126.16 KiB) Viewed 2002 times
In every way that matters, this is exactly like screwing a gopher head onto a fence post.

Please don't make me regret this $38 before the software is even running...

I get a couple of warnings that nothing is going to work until I reboot, but the installation slider is still counting up... very slowly. I have brand new fiber service to the house. Does it want me to reboot now?

By the way, what decade was it when that glossy plastic icon look was in vogue? 42%... Was it 10 or maybe 20 years ago? 49%... Just wondering while this installation keeps counting up... 61%... Reminds me of installing stuff from floppies in the '90s. 68%... "Executing application". I always hate long drawn out executions... My grandmother always said never pray for patience.... 75%... Oh, damn, the counter restarted...

I'm guessing this is what success looks like:
image.png
I have an idea it was really downloading a huge file in there, but all it said was "executing application".

Yes, ok, it looks like Solidworks has installed. 3dx adds a panel to the software:
image.png
Thank you. Wonder how much development went into that. They teach how to handle text in programming applications in those community college classes.

Well, anyway, this looks familiar, except the "Connected" part.
image.png
You know, I'd rather have something new than have something old that is meant to look new for a reason no one can articulate.
image.png
matt

Re: Experience with 3DExperience

Unread post by matt »

Ok, spacemouse busted for this version.
image.png
Fortunately there's a fix... http://3dconnexion.com/uk/drivers

Maybe AI could get a PHBB forum fact checker. Seems a big need for that sort of thing.
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

@matt,
Do you have any other version of SWX installed on that same computer? I think the Maker version cannot be installed on a computer with any other version of SWX.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
matt

Unread post by matt »

DennisD wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:28 pm @matt,
Do you have any other version of SWX installed on that same computer? I think the Maker version cannot be installed on a computer with any other version of SWX.
No, I have not had my commercial license of SW actually installed on my work machine for some time now. I still own one, but it isn't installed.
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

matt wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:14 pm No, I have not had my commercial license of SW actually installed on my work machine for some time now. I still own one, but it isn't installed.
So, the only logical conclusion is that you are adding a dimension of extreme aggravation to your 3DExperiance.

Quick! Copyright "4DExperience"!
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
DanPihlaja
Answers: 25

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

DennisD wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:23 pm So, the only logical conclusion is that you are adding a dimension of extreme aggravation to your 3DExperiance.

Quick! Copyright "4DExperience"!
Too late:
image.png
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
mp3-250
Answers: 20

Unread post by mp3-250 »

we got a nice presentation for 3d experience the other day.
courtesy of our VAR.

it seems to me a glorified version of the old node locked license, but with all disadvantages of the cloud and pay per use scheme.
It seems that you get a total of 25GB of space per user, but there are caveat for file sharing, upload quota etc... you could buy more, but at that point it started to look like a smartphone game with a microtransaction scam.

also they claim there is not need of administration, but it seems a mess to handle a whole company with contractors that came and go all the time.

anyway they claim also a SLA of 99.5%.

ps the whole thing was around 3dexperience works, solidworks and the connector to the 3dx.
my understanding is that you need to forfeit your permanent license to get their subscription plans with fixed nominal roles. whoever came up with that has all my disrespect. 😇
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

DanPihlaja wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:38 pm Too late:
image.png
Space matters.
USPTO search for "4D Experience" trademark:
image.png
Plus there are others that used 4D Experience along with other words in their trademark.

USPTO search for "4DExperience" (no space between) trademark:
image.png
- - -Randy Pausch
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

DennisD wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:39 am Space matters.
USPTO search for "4D Experience" trademark:
image.png
Plus there are others that used 4D Experience along with other words in their trademark.

USPTO search for "4DExperience" (no space between) trademark:
image.png
How about the "40eXperience" ?

If the state of CAD technology keeps progressing at this rate, on this trajectory, I'll be glad when AI replaces me.