Cutting Scrap because of SW glitches?

Brian Hiebert
Answers: 0

Cutting Scrap because of SW glitches?

Unread post by Brian Hiebert »

Not sure what is happening. This is the second time I've had errors in cut parts due to a drawing not updating before exporting DXF files.
Last time it happened was due to a scaling issue and several parts exported at the wrong scale.
this time one random part had a set of holes that are .5" closer to the edge than my model shows. The DWG file is correct now. Obviously it wasn't when exported.
Background: I have a "template" assembly in Solidworks. For new customer I pack and go the whole thing, assembly, parts, dwgs. Make necessary edits, etc.
I have a Drawing with every part on a separate sheet 1:1 scale and once my model is the way I want I go to that drawing and export all sheets to individual dxf files.
Makes me lose confidence if I can't be dead sure that what is in my model is what is getting exported without checking it all with a fine tooth comb.
Do Solidworks models get more buggy with age?
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: Cutting Scrap because of SW glitches?

Unread post by AlexLachance »

We've had plenty of glitches in DXF generation with SolidWorks. From SolidWorks generating a previous version of a part rather then the actual part to SolidWorks generating flat patterns with open contours.

I've found that working in files that are still in previous versions can cause these kind of issues so I try to avoid working with files from previous versions as much as possible.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Oh yeah, way worse than it was with Solid Edge, but it could very well be the combination of PDM. Which version in local cache and mirrored components combined the with comodulated flatten state and sm-flat-pattern configs made a complete hash of the process and still has several users baffled.

I've suggested several times now that we just give up on mirroring parts; model the mirrored part from scratch (or just think about what you're doing and make a model than can be copied and flipped...) Half the time the task host machine makes the child side dxf from the formed state. It' seems the mirrored side will not flatten without the parent being opened, and flattened state "built" or something like that.
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

What software are you using that you need to use a DXF/DWG file? We recently purchased and Amada laser and can directly import a solidworks solid model into it avoiding any exporting. It makes the entire process so much easier.

If I am exporting to a DXF/DWG file I always make sure the output 1:1 is enabled and that views I want to use are at sheet scale. Usually those 2 things are what throws off the export scale. I also have a copy of Autocad LT on my computer so I open the exported file to check scales on views or I would check a measurement in the burn software sometimes to double check.
TTevolve

bnemec wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 8:18 am I've suggested several times now that we just give up on mirroring parts; model the mirrored part from scratch (or just think about what you're doing and make a model than can be copied and flipped...) Half the time the task host machine makes the child side dxf from the formed state. It' seems the mirrored side will not flatten without the parent being opened, and flattened state "built" or something like that.
Oh yea, I never use mirrored parts to make flat patterns of, that is usually just asking for trouble. If you make changes to the original and never open the mirrored copy it won't necessarily update.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

TTevolve wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 8:32 am Oh yea, I never use mirrored parts to make flat patterns of, that is usually just asking for trouble. If you make changes to the original and never open the mirrored copy it won't necessarily update.
Right, I've been hearing that a fair bit from the community. In Solid Edge days the only time mirroring parts caused a problem is when the parent part number became obsoleted but the child (mirrored) was still active; makes file management a bit weird. Getting SW to work every time requires a very strict process, it's not robust at all.
I've been keeping a mental log of what I'm seeing. Using PDM File History and date stamps on dxf files (not vaulted.) I can say that majority of the time the parent and child files are checked in together (time stamp on the parent is roughly a second before the child), but I cannot confirm that the child has been opened and built, and flatten state activated or if it's on the parent side that's not updated. It feels like the parent needs to have the flattened state activated before the child flattened state will work sometimes, but I don't know. Would be nice to hear a webinar or something on the inner workings of how SW is doing the flatten and save as dxf from model.
Brian Hiebert
Answers: 0

Unread post by Brian Hiebert »

TTevolve wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 8:29 am What software are you using that you need to use a DXF/DWG file? We recently purchased and Amada laser and can directly import a solidworks solid model into it avoiding any exporting. It makes the entire process so much easier.

If I am exporting to a DXF/DWG file I always make sure the output 1:1 is enabled and that views I want to use are at sheet scale. Usually those 2 things are what throws off the export scale. I also have a copy of Autocad LT on my computer so I open the exported file to check scales on views or I would check a measurement in the burn software sometimes to double check.
So can other software flatten sw sheet metal parts or do you just trade for other issue?
We use SigmaNest (unfortunately) and plasma cutter.

Ya I wish I could force dwg template to sheet scale but every now and again a part slips through.

Definitely agree we need to make a more rigid system for these files.....along with a better system for almost every other process! Continous improvement!
TTevolve

We had this discussion while looking to get a new laser cutting machine. We could purchase a cheaper machine and then have a 3rd party software to create our part blanks and nesting for us. We would have to import DWF/DWG files in this scenario.

When we looked at the higher end systems (Amada and Trumpf) their software could directly import a solidworks solid model and flatten it to create our blanks/nests. So the ecosystem of the machines and software you have play a large part in streamlining your process. Our company felt the extra cost was worth it for us.

When I would DXF/DWG files for burn patterns I had a drawing template that had no boarder and would always add my flat view at 1:1 scale and then would open the file in autocad and verify a line was the correct size to minimize the mistakes.