Face Curve Control

mprice214
Answers: 0

Face Curve Control

Unread post by mprice214 »

Good evening all.

I am trying to find out if SW did away with the ability to adjust the percentage location of a face curve. For example, when created a face curve on a surface at some percentage, you used to be able to go into the 3d sketch, double click the curve and the percentage was shown in the properties. Now that is missing and don't know if I'm doing something wrong. SW 2020.

Thanks,

Mike
DanPihlaja
Answers: 25

Re: Face Curve Control

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

I don't remember seeing this ability to edit the percentage afterward. (doesn't mean it wasn't there).

I do know that I can't find it in SW 2022.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

It's there in SW2017 (single click on entity to bring up Property Manager):
image.png
but interestingly, the Help does not mention it at all. Also, SW behaves a bit strangely. If you edit the 3D sketch and try to drag the sketch entity, SW complains "Cannot drag. The selected item is fixed." If you then select the sketch entity again and drag the message appears again, but when you release the mouse the mouse pointer disappears and the sketch entity will follow your mouse movement. Also the X,Y,Z coordinates and 'Position on face' field in the Property Manager update as you move the mouse. Entering a new value directly in the Property Manager works fine.

This SPR:

Sketch Tools: Spline entities created by Face Curves sketch tool can no longer control Percentage of Face Position

seems relevant, but it's listed as implemented in the SW2020 Alpha 1 release. I don't have 2020 to check, but it seems like the fix didn't make it into the 2020 official release and has been missing since at least then.

There is an open SPR requesting the ability:

Face Curves should be editable

What a mess.
mprice214
Answers: 0

Unread post by mprice214 »

Thank you for the feedback. I am not getting " If you then select the sketch entity again and drag the message appears again, but when you release the mouse the mouse pointer disappears and the sketch entity will follow your mouse movement. " to work for me. Another work around is to create a point on the edge of the face, but this requires an additional 3d sketch.

Thanks again.
JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

mprice214 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:55 pm Thank you for the feedback. I am not getting " If you then select the sketch entity again and drag the message appears again, but when you release the mouse the mouse pointer disappears and the sketch entity will follow your mouse movement. " to work for me.
That behavior was only seen when I tested with SW 2017.