Painted part vs unpainted part part number in solidworks.

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Jacomuller
Answers: 2

Painted part vs unpainted part part number in solidworks.

Unread post by Jacomuller »

I am wondering if there is a better way of handling processes to parts in Solidworks.

For the bulk of it, we only have a part number for the finished part in the solidworks model. For example: We laser cut a profile out of 10mm plate. We then bend the plate to form a "Bend Part", we then potentially powder coat the part to form the final part. This final part will have a part number ABC123. For most cases in out business it works fine.

In some cases it is a bit problematic. For example: we start with a laser cut profile as before. Now we can bend t either Left or Right which will lead to two different parts from the same profile. Due to our product range, we can then powder coat the part in a normal satin black or we can powder coat it in a textured mat black. This will end up in 4 different parts from the same profile. For the bulk of the time and mainly inhouse products, we don't worry about these small details. When we started to outsource some of the processes, it became a bit of a problem.

Our work around is: We create a part number for the sheet metal profile. We then create a "Dummy" part called "Bend" with a special part number. We then create a "Dummy Part" called "Texture Powder coat" with it own part number and finally the same for the Satin black powder coat. Out finished part is then an assembly and not a part in Solidworks. That way we can send the correct number profile part for laser cutting and we have the correct costing for the different powder coat processes.

Is there a better way to do it in Solidworks?
mgibeault
Answers: 1

Re: Painted part vs unpainted part part number in solidworks.

Unread post by mgibeault »

I don't like to work with them but I think the way to handle this in SolidWorks is with configurations.
I mostly use them to have two "states" of the same part (a spring for example), but I think it would work well in your scenario. There are options to handle them correctly for your usage with options in BOMs, properties, etc.
I would make one drawing document with a page for each config; flat, right-hand-side Satin, right-hand-side Texture, etc...
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

Separate intermediate parts are best kept as separate part numbers.
Part 1: Flat Pattern
Part 2: Bent Right
Part 3: Bent Left
Part 4: Part 2 painted color 1
Part 5: Part 2 painted color 2
Part 6: Part 3 painted color 1
Part 7: Part 3 painted color 2
These can all be done in one part file using configurations. I would suggest using a Design Table to easily see the options all at once. It is a simple thing in Excel to make the part number and the description from these parameters.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

This usually comes down to how your ERP system handles parts and if your doing it in-house. We used to have 2 part numbers for parts, one for the flat pattern and one for the bent part since we were sending out the blanks to be cut for us. We had to have a unique number for it so it could be ordered and received in our ERP system.

We now have our own laser cutting machine and press break so we can do it as one part number and show the flat pattern on the drawing with the bent views since we no longer have to order anything from outside.

We do have different part numbers for rights/lefts of bent parts if they have to go on the shelf
Jacomuller
Answers: 2

Unread post by Jacomuller »

I suppose there are many ways to skin a cat :D . For the time being I will stick with what we are doing.

this is just an example of a treehouse
image.png