Watercooler Talk

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 23

Re: Watercooler Talk

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

AlexLachance wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:35 pm Naw haha :lol: he's got the will, just that it seems they haven't taught much of anything relating to software usage. Spoke of weldments to him and he looked at me like I was a wizard.
Do you mean you aren't?
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:40 pm Do you mean you aren't?
I'm a WizAss but not a Wizard :lol:
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

AlexLachance wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 2:43 pm I'm a WizAss but not a Wizard :lol:
Not a Lizard?
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

image.png
image.png (83.84 KiB) Viewed 4983 times
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AlexLachance

Platform seems to be down this morning, can't login for the last 3 hours.
AlexB
Answers: 27

Unread post by AlexB »

AlexLachance wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:41 am Platform seems to be down this morning, can't login for the last 3 hours.
I've been logged in most of the morning... who knows?
AlexLachance

AlexB wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:44 am I've been logged in most of the morning... who knows?
Now that you say that, I tried a private session and this one works. Tried restarting my browser and nothing changed. odd.
Glenn Schroeder

No problems here using Chrome.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

ctsturdiv
Answers: 0

Unread post by ctsturdiv »

Ready for Summer semester here.

Taking the English and Algebra I put off to graduate on time.

As long as I avoid calamities and catastrophes, should graduate in Fall with an AA in Drafting and Design with Honors. Still decent chance of Dean's List Honors if I do really, really well.

Still need to find an internship or I will have to take a Plant Safety course in Fall. (I think they do that to try to tell you if you have not done it by now, you need to head on top of a cancer spewing bomb surrounded by swamps and razor wire.) Not that I have had lots of choices that the college has offered. Had one offer about 40 to 50 miles from the house on one such bomb. Another I think that they decided to go with another candidate and I found out later the lead draftsperson was keeping the job for her daughter who had flunked the program I am in through the grapevine from people I know in the industry. (Gotta love nepotism). Oh, well. Win some, lose some. Not mad at all and had a chat with my instructor about it and a good laugh.

So, starting next month, my job blitz starts in earnest and I will be more proactive than just the things my college sends me.

Understand it needs to be done, but it's not fun. In previous industries I was in, I could just walk up and talk my way into a place.Never even had to use a resume. I'd get rejected, but eventually get something. This field is almost like online dating but with algorithms and filters and a totally different approach.

Wish me luck!
Frederick_Law

I found out later the lead draftsperson was keeping the job for her daughter who had flunked the program I am in through the grapevine from people I know in the industry. (Gotta love nepotism). Oh, well. Win some, lose some.
I think you dodged a bullet there.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I'm thinking of adding on to my garage, and in order to sort things out I modeled my house. (I've been working on bits and pieces as needed, but this is the first time I finished the full exterior.) There is absolutely no excuse for my little 1700 sq-ft house to have 27 roof lines.
image.png
And I'm going to make it worse.
image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
ctsturdiv

SPerman wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:55 pm I'm thinking of adding on to my garage, and in order to sort things out I modeled my house. (I've been working on bits and pieces as needed, but this is the first time I finished the full exterior.) There is absolutely no excuse for my little 1700 sq-ft house to have 27 roof lines.

image.png And I'm going to make it worse.

image.png
We did a little bit of that in Disciplines I last semester.

Roof lines, especially in 2D elevation is a pain. I'd almost rather 3D model the thing like you did.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, I kind of like the arch stuff), in my area you either have to know someone or go to architecture college to even touch floorplans. elevations, plot plans, or even 3D arch models.They get arch BS degree people to do that. Or so I am told. And Arch school is nothing nice. It ain't engineering or nursing, but it's rough.

To get out of doing a ton of roof lines (and an easier grade), I ended up browsing dozens of pictures of New Orleans double shotgun houses looking for one that DID NOT have a camelback roof. Finally found a few in the St Roch neighborhood. Knocked out the center wall, made it into a regular house like what was trendy 00s to 10s back then.

Used to live in one in the Marigny as a young man. Talk about a bachelor pad! Right next to the Quarter and all the bars and trouble.

Since I provided historical examples and pics of a roof plan without the camelback, got an A on it.

A lot of others got knocked for having bathrooms that you could park an SUV in. LOL.

We are fixing to put in some cheap flooring to a place we are renting. 10 years of Louisiana humidity, 3 dogs, and a roof leak 3 years ago have taken it's toll and if we are going to live here 2 more years, we kind of want to walk around the bedroom without stepping on 1980s era flooring that is puffing up and coming loose. Landlord, of course does not fix jack. If she is not in one of the 4 restaurants she owns, she's in China.

Were wondering what to do, then remembered, hey, I am a friggin CAD draftsman. I can just draw it out in 3D or 2D.

Will show you guys when I get on it after I get through with the initial Summer semester stuff and did zero arch floorplan research.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

It wasn't in the plans when I bought the house, but within a couple of weeks after moving in I had pretty much committed to a full remodel. I did all of the tile layout in the computer before mixing any thinset.
image.png
-
Glenn Schroeder

SPerman wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:55 pm I'm thinking of adding on to my garage, and in order to sort things out I modeled my house. (I've been working on bits and pieces as needed, but this is the first time I finished the full exterior.) There is absolutely no excuse for my little 1700 sq-ft house to have 27 roof lines.

image.png And I'm going to make it worse.

image.png
That's the kind of roof that can make roofing professionals break down and cry like a little girl, but you probably already know that. (I have not very fond memories of roofing when I was much younger.)

AlexLachance

I'll be away until july 8th on my annual fishing trip. Take care yall!
AlexLachance

Back from the fishing trip. Wonderful weather, not so much for the fishing though! Doesn't matter, it was relaxing and we had fun
image.png
Glenn Schroeder

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:44 am Back from the fishing trip. Wonderful weather, not so much for the fishing though! Doesn't matter, it was relaxing and we had fun

image.png
The weather isn't so great here today. The eye of a hurricane is in the process of passing just east of me as I'm writing this.

AlexLachance

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:45 pm The weather isn't so great here today. The eye of a hurricane is in the process of passing just east of me as I'm writing this.
Heard about that, man hurricane season's gotta be something. I know winter in Canada is hell, but hurricanes are wild.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:45 pm The weather isn't so great here today. The eye of a hurricane is in the process of passing just east of me as I'm writing this.
Hurricane on a Monday after 4 day weekend. Man that sucks.

https://youtu.be/E8GcT5PBIC4?si=oURLNl0syGitqUIV
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Here in the southeast, for the last few years, the only time we see any rain in the summer is when a hurricane blows through. :(
-
Frederick_Law

The "hurricane" arrived. Heavy rain. Good to cool down the heat.
AlexLachance

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:27 am The "hurricane" arrived. Heavy rain. Good to cool down the heat.
It's supposed to hit here during the evening. Expecting between 50 to 100mm of rain (or 2 to 4 inches). A town not too far away from mine got hit by a huge storm about a week ago, 75mm of rain in an hour. Caused flash floods, land slides, road collapses and more, hopefully they're spared a bit this time around.
AlexLachance

Summer vacation is coming in fast! Tomorrow will be my last day of work for the next 2 weeks as the shop will be closed for the next 2 weeks for the construction holidays of Quebec.

Company offered all of the employees a bottle of wine and tomorrow we'll be having a big pizza lunch, shop and offices
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Didn't you just take a week off for your fishing trip?
-
AlexLachance

SPerman wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 2:40 pm Didn't you just take a week off for your fishing trip?
Indeed I did :D Quebec has vacation for 95% of the population during summer, so most shops close down during those 2 weeks, we are no exception. With my 13 years of seniority I have a grand total of 6 weeks of vacation per year, including christmas but excluding every other holiday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Construct ... y_(Quebec)
Glenn Schroeder

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:17 pm Indeed I did :D Quebec has vacation for 95% of the population during summer, so most shops close down during those 2 weeks, we are no exception. With my 13 years of seniority I have a grand total of 6 weeks of vacation per year, including christmas but excluding every other holiday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Construct ... y_(Quebec)
Isn't seniority great? I have 26 years here, and currently get 17 hours of vacation (so 25.5 days per year) on top of 8 hours sick leave every month.

AlexLachance

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:59 pm Isn't seniority great? I have 26 years here, and currently get 17 hours of vacation (so 25.5 days per year) on top of 8 hours sick leave every month.
It indeed is UU
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:59 pm Isn't seniority great? I have 26 years here, and currently get 17 hours of vacation (so 25.5 days per year) on top of 8 hours sick leave every month.
The problem with seniority is how long it takes to get! grumph
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
Frederick_Law

@AlexLachance
Going Montreal this weekend for fireworks, again LOL
mgibeault

Unread post by mgibeault »

Frederick_Law wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:02 pm @AlexLachance
Going Montreal this weekend for fireworks, again LOL
Enjoy your stay!
If you need something, hit me before Thursday!

-Marc
Frederick_Law

mgibeault wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:11 pm Enjoy your stay!
If you need something, hit me before Thursday!

-Marc
I need no rain on Sat night.
mgibeault

Frederick_Law wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:17 pm I need no rain on Sat night.
Great, that's what I planned!
Frederick_Law

I'll be watching it in La Ronde, Gold section.
mgibeault

I usually watch from:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ih5GTBPp1xU3Naas6
It's a temporary village with foodtrucks, a beach, a band or DJ, with a pretty good view of the fireworks. Not the perfect view though.
I go there early with my camping chairs. We eat, drink, dance while my daughter plays around. Very good vibe.
Frederick_Law

In La Ronde, you'll get hit by 2 shock wave, sound and air.
Also come out smelling gun powder.

I hope it'll keep going after 6 Flag take over.
Would be great to use Wonderland season pass in La Ronde oa
DanPihlaja
Answers: 25

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

See the attached video (if it works).

This is a video from the top of the Mass City Bluff located 4 miles from where I grew up. (I was on vacation the last week and went home)

I was standing at these coordinates when I took the video: 46.76746028679099, -89.083758569354

MicrosoftTeams-video (1).mp4
(5.12 MiB) Downloaded 63 times
image.png
image.png
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Frederick_Law

LOL You're high.
ctsturdiv

Summer Semester is done. Last Final was Friday.

I know most people here are in the field, but I recommend anyone going back NOT to take heavy math classes during the summer. I DID pass, but it was not pretty at all. Fortunately, my presentations and applications were good enough to carry me but I felt the pace was so that instead of spending time on concepts I was weak on, I just had to move on and suffer rather than fall behind with the relentless pace. I will GLADLY take a high C.

The English I had put off, made A+.

Still keeping a 3.4, but I heard outside of transferring to a 4 year or companies that occasionally come to the school that no one cares about that.

A little story:

On the week of exams, I had a little scare. Exam was due at Midnight Friday and I was going to do it before heading up to Mississippi to check on my elderly dad who has been living alone since my mom died last summer. However, a nasty storm rolled through and knocked out my internet that morning into early afternoon so was not able to.

No worries. I'll take it when I get to dad's house.

My daughter gets off from work a little late, and we get there around 10 PM. Only 2 hours to take the thing!

Problem? My dad has hearing aids and forgot we are coming and dead asleep in the house and locked the top bolt, which no one has a key for.

Ended up having to break into a house to take an exam!

All I have left now is 3 more classes: Disciplines II, Plant 3D/BIM, and Plant Safety (only because out of the 6 of us left, I am one of three without an internship. I think they figure if you have not done this yet, they throw you on the plants. But I think I can do better. Thinking the State.)

Then from there, the field hopefully.
Frederick_Law

We used AR400-500 for wear resistant. Didn't know it's armor plate.
Frederick_Law

Firework on the weekend:
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

Frederick_Law wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:34 am We used AR400-500 for wear resistant. Didn't know it's armor plate.
Wow! That was fun (in an engineering geek sort of way).

If you use AR-500 how do you machine it? Grinding? EDM?
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

-
DanPihlaja
Answers: 25

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

DennisD wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 1:16 pm Wow! That was fun (in an engineering geek sort of way).

Ether with ceramics or carbide tools.

Or you do it before it is hardened.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Frederick_Law

DennisD wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 1:16 pm Wow! That was fun (in an engineering geek sort of way).

Plasma, waterjet.
Just weld them on as wear plate.
We bump them into cones for cyclone separator.
We single point thread them for liner.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Amazon Driver. (Please click GIF)
Amazon.gif
-
AlexLachance

Back from vacation, just in time for the stock market to crash
Frederick_Law

Time to buy.
ctsturdiv

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 7:58 am Back from vacation, just in time for the stock market to crash
Thankfully, it seems to be stabilizing.

I am no financial expert, but part of me believes it has something to do with all these huge tech companies getting all these profits and doing stock buybacks while laying off significant amounts of usually "upper middle class" professions (mostly tech and companies that call themselves tech) along with commercial real estate being in a bubble. People are just shifting money around away from things that are really overpriced for what they are.

I don't think it will hit engineering or engineering related professions as hard, but still gives me pause if I have to go look for jobs when I graduate fighting against people with 4 year degrees and Master's degrees looking at drafter/BIM/ CAD tech jobs. Or you have IT/ Tech people retraining into stuff and crowd us.

IF that becomes the case (and this would SUCK for me and my family), I'd have to seriously consider immediately talking to LSU to get into chemical, civil, mechanical, or arch engineering. Which is scary as hell because while I did survive and pass my math classes in drafting, I still am no whiz at that stuff and it would consume my life. Also the fact that while with a bonafide AAS degree, I WOULD get automatic acceptance into a Louisiana state college program with my GPA, a lot of the votech specific classes would NOT count to degree and it would be 3 more years. Which means another year (possiblle dual associates) at current CC or 3 years of crazy, crazy math in a far harder program that will make me wish I was back in a world of weird angles, chamfers, and multiple types of diameters on pipe parts. BUT, good thing is I think at this point I could draw circles in CAD around a typical 3rd or 4th year young buck engineering student.

Here's hoping that does not occur. I really don't want to be mid 50s doing that if I don't have to.
AlexLachance

So, was anyone affected by Hurricane/Tropical Storm Debby? We got hit on friday with over 4 inches of rain, Montreal had it pretty rough with floods but some place had it worse with landslides and roads collapsing. We got a lot of rain and a lot of wind where I live but only a few places were flooded in the area.
Frederick_Law

Luckily it missed Ontario.