Replacing planes sketch flips??

JMOS4
Answers: 0

Replacing planes sketch flips??

Unread post by JMOS4 »

hi,

I have a part I am moving a sketch from a part surface to a plane that is the same distance as the current face is from front plane.

now when I go replace sketch plane and deselect the face and then select the new plane, my sketch flips 180 degrees I have tried to reselect the original face and it corrects itself, I also have tired to select the new plane from both sides of it and still is flipped any suggestions as it has a bunch of mates to a master sketch and on the new plane it has a bunch of errors.

Regards,
Jim
matt
Answers: 19

Re: Replacing planes sketch flips??

Unread post by matt »

One thing you can try is to change it to another intermediate plane first, and then change it again to the plane you want it to be on, so it eventually winds up in the correct orientation.

Or you might also try the Modify Sketch tool to rotate the entire sketch to the way you want it.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

Try selecting "Flip normal" in the plane properties. Planes have a normal vector and an "abnormal" [ :D ] vector. If the plane is flipped, it will flip mates and sketches along with it.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
JMOS4

Unread post by JMOS4 »

Hi again,

Thanks as never noticed this icon before and it did the trick.
image.png
image.png (11.73 KiB) Viewed 1299 times
Regards,
Jim
Peter De Vlieger

Unread post by Peter De Vlieger »

One more trick for you :

Define a plane by the means of 3 points. This way you have full control of which side of the plane is 'normal'.
Depending on if you select the 3 point CW or CCW will namely determine what side of the plan is facing you or away from you.

I find it particular useful on planes that might have a rotation change (vessel design).
image.png
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

Peter De Vlieger wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:52 am One more trick for you :

Define a plane by the means of 3 points. This way you have full control of which side of the plane is 'normal'.
Depending on if you select the 3 point CW or CCW will namely determine what side of the plan is facing you or away from you.

I find it particular useful on planes that might have a rotation change (vessel design).
image.png
I never tried the 3-point method. That's a new one to me.
Observing and controlling reference entity polarity is something that took me a while to understand (with other's forum help), and has been greatly helpful once I did.

I'd just like to point out the two differences in the images shown. (Thanks Peter for a clear illustration) They are different colors indicating opposite orientation, but that can be altered with system options. The difference which cannot be altered is that the one facing you has its name left-justified to the top corner, and the one facing away from you has its name right-justified to the top corner.

Similarly, an axis has polarity indicated by the location of its name at one end or the other. Replacing components (assembly context) with opposite axis polarity may automatically recognize the mate entity, but create mate errors due to axis-coincident mates which now need flipped.