When filename is ****-GA

arild80
Answers: 1

When filename is ****-GA

Unread post by arild80 »

Hi all smart heads.
I`m looking for a way to do some information gatering depending on "if()" command in a text field.

We save our main model and drawing with running numbers "NS123456"
When coustumer wants a GA we save drawing like "NS123456-GA" getting information from Main model "NS123456"
We insert information to the main assy proporties when we save the model first time:
Description1 - "What is this"
Description2 - "Dimentions"
Art.No - "Coustumer info 1"
Cust.dwg nr - "Coustumer info 2"

We have 2 text boxes in the drawing that gater information from the model proporties to the drawing
Text box 1 collect model proporties - Description1
Text box 2 collect model proporties - Description2

But here is the deal.
Is the a sooth way to say that when DWG is saved to "NS123456-GA" then textbox automaticly is getting oter info?
Text box 1 collect model proporties - Art.No
Text box 2 collect model proporties - Cust.dwg nr

(PS: We are using PDM) :-)
by arild80 » Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:10 am
AlexB wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:31 am Unfortunately, there's not a way to dynamically change what a text box is pointing to.

1. The easiest solution would be to have a separate template that you could apply which has the text boxes linked to the alternate properties.
2. A more difficult solution in PDM could be to have the GA drawings in a different state or workflow based on the file name ending in GA. This could be the exact same workflow as the non-GA drawings but it would map the other variables to the custom properties in the drawing that correlate to the text boxes.
Ill try out the ekstra template to see if that would be easier to do for me.
Thanks
Go to full post
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: When filename is ****-GA

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Can't you just point your text box to the file name..? I'm having a bit of trouble following, perhaps it's because I am not familiar with PDM.
AlexB
Answers: 27

Unread post by AlexB »

Unfortunately, there's not a way to dynamically change what a text box is pointing to.

1. The easiest solution would be to have a separate template that you could apply which has the text boxes linked to the alternate properties.
2. A more difficult solution in PDM could be to have the GA drawings in a different state or workflow based on the file name ending in GA. This could be the exact same workflow as the non-GA drawings but it would map the other variables to the custom properties in the drawing that correlate to the text boxes.
arild80

Unread post by arild80 »

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:49 am Can't you just point your text box to the file name..? I'm having a bit of trouble following, perhaps it's because I am not familiar with PDM.
Thats what i am doing today Alex :-)
cliking 11times to point to correct info for each text cell.
Have 2 cell to correct info on, so then we are up to 22cliks on each drawing. And i have about 170 - 200 drawings to do....
soo... lots of time get lost doing it.

and i just hate to manualy do work that could (maybe) been automated ;-)
arild80

Unread post by arild80 »

AlexB wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 8:31 am Unfortunately, there's not a way to dynamically change what a text box is pointing to.

Ill try out the ekstra template to see if that would be easier to do for me.
Thanks
JSculley
Answers: 55

Unread post by JSculley »

Do you ever need to show more than two values? If not, you can use 2 properties instead of 4 and avoid the whole problem. You can use control logic to hide/show one of two overlapping static text fields on the data card so that the user thinks they are entering Art.No, but the data is actually going into the same variable as Description1.
arild80

Unread post by arild80 »

JSculley wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:30 am Do you ever need to show more than two values? If not, you can use 2 properties instead of 4 and avoid the whole problem. You can use control logic to hide/show one of two overlapping static text fields on the data card so that the user thinks they are entering Art.No, but the data is actually going into the same variable as Description1.
Hi JSculley
No, i would only need 2 values. How would i set up this logic? wold you know?